This 2-day course offers a comprehensive program to Internet investigations and open-source intelligence gathering. Students will learn how to enhance their search skills to effectively use Internet resources for locating information online.
Key Learning Points:
* Ways computers are used in investigations and the evolution of computer-based investigative techniques.
* How to uncover valuable information from open sources, public and private databases, and social networks for conducting due diligence and background investigations.
* Understand The difference between Web 2.0 and traditional websites and how to deconstruct a profile for your investigations.
* Tools and resources utilized by experienced online analysts to find and vet information about private organizations within the United States.
* How to use eBay and other online auction sites for investigations
* The tools to operate covertly on the Internet during an investigation.
Analysts and investigators with law enforcement at all levels and with private industry groups will benefit greatly from this training.
Instructor: Cynthia Hetherington, MLS, MSM, CFE
Cynthia has more than 20 years of experience in research, investigations, and corporate intelligence. She is a noted authority and recipient of the 2012 'Speaker of the Year Award' by the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (www.ACFE.org). Her company, the Hetherington Group, is a national consulting, publishing, and training firm specializing in intelligence, security, and investigations. One of the most respected online investigators, Cynthia combines her master's of library science, master's of information systems management, experience as a Certified Fraud Examiner, and over 20 years of computer expertise to establish her company in the online and Internet investigative industry. Cynthia has been recognized for her work in overseeing national and international investigations for Fortune 500 companies and other organizations in the Middle East, Europe, and Asia. Hetherington has provided numerous corporate security officials, military intelligence units, and federal, state, and local agencies with training on online intelligence practices.
She is one of the foremost authorities on:
Employee theft prevention and detection,
Intellectual property loss,
National and international online and database research,
Business fraud prevention and detection, and
Asset location and recovery.
Cyber counter-terrorism materials Hetherington has authored:
Business Background Investigations - Facts on Demand Press,
Manual to Online Public Records - Facts on Demand Press, and
Web of Deceit: Misinformation and Manipulation in the Age of Social Media (contributing writer) (2011), Cyberage Books