BJA NTTAC’s training and specialized guidance services, also known as technical assistance, take a variety of forms that can be combined or modified to meet the unique needs of criminal justice practitioners and agencies, as well as elected officials, community organizations, or citizen advocates. Services range from short-term to more comprehensive, longer-term engagements and cover a variety of justice topics, including adjudication, corrections, crime prevention, justice information-sharing, law enforcement, mental health, substance abuse, tribal justice, and capacity-building. BJA NTTAC’s training and technical assistance (TTA) services include:
- Specialized TTA programs
- Assistance implementing evidence-based programs
- Curriculum development
- Data analysis
- Classroom and virtual training
- Peer-to-peer visits
- Research and information requests
- Strategic planning assistance
- Specialized TTA Programs
BJA NTTAC is committed to ensuring its resources and services are responsive to the evolving needs of the justice field. To address emerging needs, BJA NTTAC provides the following specialized TTA programs:
- Crime Analysis on Demand TTA Program: TTA for agencies, largely law enforcement, to enhance capabilities to analyze and use data to make informed decisions, respond effectively, and prevent crime. Access the Crime Analysis on Demand TTA Program Flyer.
- Prosecution Assessment TTA Program: TTA for prosecutors’ offices to ensure violent crime cases are prioritized and to identify strategies to strengthen cases and increase convictions. Access the Prosecution Assessment TTA Program Flyer.
- Technology Initiatives Assessment TTA Program: TTA for agencies to advise on effective uses of technology to create safer communities. Access the Technology Initiatives Assessment TTA Program Flyer.
Technical assistance related to these specialized TTA programs may take the form of any of the services described below.
- Assistance Implementing Evidence-Based Programs
- BJA NTTAC identifies and implements evidence-based programs in state, local, and tribal jurisdictions across the United States. Evidence-based programs are model programs that have been implemented with fidelity and proven to achieve positive criminal justice outcomes. Read about our work in Crime Prevention and Substance Abuse.
- Curriculum Development
- BJA NTTAC assists with the development of training curricula. This assistance can include incorporating instructional objectives, content, strategies, and evaluation methods into existing training courses or workshops. Additionally, BJA NTTAC assists with pilot testing and evaluation that is an essential part of the development process. Read about our work in Mental Health.
- Data Analysis
- BJA NTTAC helps criminal justice agencies develop or enhance their data analysis capacity across a broad set of justice topics. BJA NTTAC also supports specialized training workshops in quantitative analysis of crime and justice data. Through these data analysis services, BJA NTTAC helps criminal justice professionals identify regional crime trends and develop effective crime prevention strategies. Read about our work in Law Enforcement.
- Classroom and Virtual Training
- BJA NTTAC delivers both classroom and virtual training for criminal justice agencies. Read about our work in Justice Information Sharing and Law Enforcement. In addition, BJA NTTAC has the expertise to produce, host, and archive webinars in partnership with BJA TTA providers. This archive of webinars can be accessed on our TTA Resources page of the TTA Catalog.
- Peer-to-Peer Visits
- BJA NTTAC facilitates peer-to-peer information exchanges and site visits. Visits by criminal justice practitioners and community leaders facilitate improved understanding of the factors critical to the successful implementation of model programs. Upon completion of a visit, the visiting individual or team prepares a report to demonstrate improved knowledge and understanding of colleagues’ lessons learned, as well as the actions that will be taken as a result of the peer-to-peer visit. Read about our work in Adjudication and Mental Health.
- Research and Information Requests
- BJA NTTAC supports the criminal justice community through our help desk. BJA NTTAC responds to inquiries about criminal justice training and technical (TTA) resources and make referrals to BJA TTA providers and other U.S. Department of Justice TTA organizations. Contact us at 1-855-BJA-TTAC or BJANTTAC@ojp.usdoj.gov.
- Strategic Planning Assistance
- Strategic planning is critical to identifying the necessary steps to help an organization achieve its future goals. BJA NTTAC provides strategic planning to help communities develop strategies that convey a clear overall purpose and desired outcomes, including data gathering and analysis, facilitating stakeholder meetings, and drafting strategic plans. Read about our work in Adjudication, Corrections, and Substance Abuse.