This webinar will discuss the impact that virtual currency has on investigations. Starting with a brief introduction on what virtual currency is, how to get it, and who is using it and why, the presenters will then discuss some high profile cases, such as Silk Road and the recent Alpha Bay and Hansa takedowns. The webinar will discuss how virtual currency has fueled the rise in ransomware over the past few years; additionally, it will also cover some methods and tools that investigators are leveraging to "follow the money." Finally, the presenters will discuss where virtual currency is going. Upon completion of this webinar, students will:
- Better understand what virtual currency is, how to get it, how to sell it, etc.
- Understand who uses virtual currency.
- Understand the role of virtual currency in ransomware.
- Be familiar with some of the tools to help with investigations.
- Have a better overall understanding of how virtual currency has impacted the entire underground ecosystem.
Presented by: Steve Mancini and Sean Wolfgang, National Cyber-Forensics and Training Alliance.