This course introduces learners to the concept of digital footprints and best practices in protecting personally identifiable information (PII). Topics include limiting an individual’s digital footprint, protecting privacy on social media, and the consequences of oversharing personal information, as well as steps to take after becoming a target of doxing.
- Current landscape. Review emerging technology and trends that can aid criminals in the commission of identity theft, credit card theft, child exploitation, and production of counterfeit documents.
- Personally identifiable information. Learn what PII is, why it can threaten individuals’ safety, and the scams and exploits criminals use to obtain it.
- Minimizing your digital footprint. Learn how and why you should remove PII and how to find where information may be located. Instructors will demonstrate how to secure digital devices and request removal of data from a website.
- Social media. Use security and privacy settings to control the amount of available information on multiple platforms.
- Resources. Identify resources that can help victims of identity theft, doxing, and other related crimes.