This course provides the fundamental knowledge and skills required to acquire forensic backup images from Windows-based computers and removable storage media in a forensically sound manner.
Presentations and hands-on practical exercises cover the following topics:
- Storage media and how data is stored.
- The forensic acquisition process.
- Tool validation.
- Hardware and software write blockers.
- Forensic backup image formats.
- Multiple forensic acquisition methods.
Students will use free and commercial third-party tools that are currently used by practitioners in the field.