To support people on their paths to recovery from substance use disorders, the use of peer specialists in peer recovery support services (PRSS) is increasing across diverse criminal justice settings. Peer specialists offer the benefits of their own experiences with recovery, provide hope and social support, and can change the outcomes for those in recovery.
This session will:
- Highlight the roles of peer specialists across multiple programs;
- Explore the work from an “insider” vantage point: by a peer specialist working in the field;
- Discuss the value of implementing peer specialists at all of the criminal justice intercepts; and
- Identify the support needs of peer specialists and common ethical PRSS considerations.
- Melissa Thompson, Recovery Coach, Centerstone Reentry in Bloomington, Indiana;
- Nancy McConnell, Chief Operating Officer/Program Director, Rebel Recovery Florida; and
- Charles Delaney, Certified Peer Specialist, Community Recovery Connections Team, Bedford Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Massachusetts.