This course provides attendees with fundamental knowledge and skills related to the dark web and virtual currency. The course focuses on the investigation of crimes committed on or through the dark web, how the dark web can be used as an investigative tool, and the investigation of crimes involving virtual currency.
- Dark web. Explore the surface, deep, and dark web; how data typically flows through the internet; who uses the dark web and how; and recent cases involving the dark web.
- Tor. Learn about the history of the Tor Project; how to access Tor; how Tor traffic works; how a Tor Hidden Service works; and how to install and configure the Tor Browser Bundle.
- Virtual currency. Learn about the history of virtual currency; convertible vs. non-convertible; centralized vs. decentralized; virtual currency exchanges; and blockchain basics.
- Bitcoin. Understand types of wallets; the Bitcoin blockchain; Bitcoin transactions; Bitcoin "mining;" and the concept of "tumbling."
- Investigative techniques. Learn to use Tor as an investigative tool; identify if an IP address is a Tor node; document dark web content; seize a Bitcoin wallet; and trace Bitcoin transactions.