- News and Media
- TTA News & Information
- Read the National Police Foundation’s Best Practices Guide on Police Open Data
Read the National Police Foundation’s Best Practices Guide on Police Open Data
The National Police Foundation recently published its Police Data Initiative: Best Practices Guide (5-Part Series) – a resource for executives and members of local law enforcement agencies responsible for developing and releasing open data. Using real-world examples, the guide provides best practices on how to:
- Create a data plan and choose types of datasets to release;
- Create new open datasets;
- Share open datasets with the community; and
- Update data on a regular basis.
The best practices featured in the guide are drawn from case studies of law enforcement agencies that participated in the Police Data Initiative, which promotes the use of open data to encourage joint problem solving, innovation, enhanced understanding, and accountability between law enforcement agencies and the communities they serve. Additionally, the guide provides information for law enforcement agencies to learn how to use open data as an opportunity for further community engagement.
Read the best practices guide today.