- News and Media
- TTA News & Information
- Learn About the Typical Costs Associated with Using Law Enforcement Technology
Learn About the Typical Costs Associated with Using Law Enforcement Technology
To support law enforcement executives in budgeting for technology, the National Public Safety Partnership (PSP) and the CNA Corporation developed the resource “Understanding Technology Cost Considerations in Law Enforcement.” This document describes the typical costs and associated factors related to using technology for law enforcement activities.
As police departments and other law enforcement agencies continue to implement strategies to enhance public safety, the daily integration of technology into operations has become vital. When adequately planned and budgeted, the use of emerging and innovative technologies can enable agencies to do more with less, increase transparency, and reduce crime. This resource from PSP and CNA helps law enforcement executives achieve their goals around technology integration by:
- Outlining common challenges related to estimating costs, budgeting for, and managing existing and new technology;
- Describing the breadth of tools and resources that comprise law enforcement technology;
- Providing examples of initial costs, operating costs, maintenance costs, and disposal costs; and
- Summarizing six critical considerations that can affect technology costs for an agency, including procurement, non-equipment-related costs (e.g., staffing and training), and funding options.
As law enforcement agencies begin to assess their organization’s readiness and capability to budget for technology acquisition and integration, the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA) National Training and Technical Assistance Center (NTTAC) can help agencies quantify the cost and value of current technologies through its Technology Initiatives Assessment Training and Technical Assistance (TTA) Program. Learn more about the types of assistance that BJA NTTAC supports in the Technology Initiatives Assessment TTA Program flyer.
Access the PSP resource for more information about law enforcement technology cost considerations.