- News and Media
- TTA News & Information
- Join the Justice Research and Statistics Association for a Webinar on Institutional Review Boards and Protecting Human Subjects
Join the Justice Research and Statistics Association for a Webinar on Institutional Review Boards and Protecting Human Subjects
Join the Justice Research and Statistics Association (JRSA) for the webinar, “Protecting Human Subjects and Institutional Review Boards: An Overview,” on Thursday, February 23 from 3:00 to 4:00 p.m. ET. This webinar will review the basics of institutional review boards (IRBs), including the need for them to protect human subjects and details on when to submit research protocols for review to an IRB. At the conclusion of the webinar, participants will understand:
- The background and purpose of the relevant human subjects research regulations.
- How to determine if they are engaging in human subjects research or not.
- How IRBs ensure that the rights and welfare of human subjects involved in research are protected adequately.
- How to “issue spot” where the need for an IRB review is likely to arise.
- How to draft functional IRB protocols and procedures.
The presenters for this webinar include:
- Ross Hickey, Research Compliance Administrator, Office of Research Integrity and Outreach (ORIO), University of Southern Maine (USM);
- Casey Webster, Research Compliance Administrator, ORIO, USM;
- George Shaler, Maine Statistical Analysis Center Director, Muskie School of Public Service, USM; and
- Erin J. Farley, Research Associate, JRSA (Moderator).