- News and Media
- TTA News & Information
- Attend a Webinar on Interventions to Support Traumatized Children Exposed to Family Opioid Use
Attend a Webinar on Interventions to Support Traumatized Children Exposed to Family Opioid Use
Join the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA)’s Comprehensive Opioid Abuse Program (COAP) for the “COAP Webinar Series: Handle With Care” webinar on Wednesday, December 12 from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. ET. The webinar will provide an overview of the Handle With Care initiative, an innovative program focused on protecting and helping children with trauma. Handle With Care enables law enforcement to forward a child’s name with the words “handle with care” to schools after receiving a call related to opioid use. After receiving the name, schools respond with interventions to help mitigate the child’s trauma, and mental health providers co-locate at the schools to provide services.
Participants will learn best practices to minimize the negative effects experienced by children exposed to trauma from situations such as a family member’s arrest or incident related to opioid abuse. This effort requires partnerships among schools, childcare agencies, law enforcement, and treatment providers to promote safe and supportive homes, schools, and communities.
The webinar will provide information on the following topics:
- The impact of trauma on a child’s ability to learn;
- How to identify crimes impacting local schools and students; and
- Proven classroom and schoolwide interventions to help students exposed to trauma.
Webinar presenters will include:
- Andrea Darr, Director, West Virginia Center for Children’s Justice; and
- Chad Napier, Prevention and Education Coordinator, Appalachia High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area.
Register for the webinar today.
View this webinar in the TTA Catalog.