This webinar will enable tribes (tribal leaders/tribal professionals/tribal attorneys) to evaluate the pros and cons of implementation of various aspects of the Tribal Law and Order Act (TLOA), including enhanced sentencing. The analysis will include a method to determine the pros and cons for each particular tribe; what general considerations the tribe may take into account including which crimes to pursue enhanced sentencing for; what, if any, additional costs the tribe may encounter and how to limit those additional costs; what portions of TLOA the tribe may wish to take advantage of if it chooses to implement enhanced sentencing; and/or other aspects of TLOA that may affect the tribe. After this webinar, tribes will be able to:
- Determine what specific crimes the tribe would most likely seek to use enhanced sentencing for;
- Discover how to limit the cost of implementing enhanced sentencing;
- Discuss other considerations the tribe should look at when seeking to implement enhanced sentencing;
- Discuss how to evaluate the pros and cons of implementation for their own tribe.
- Christine Folsom-Smith, Director, National Tribal Judicial Center
- Theresa M. Pouley, Chief Judges, Tulalip Tribal Court
- Norena Henry, Senior Policy Advisor, Bureau of Justice Assistance, U.S. Department of Justice